A Bible dictionary is a reference work containing encyclopedic entries related to the Bible, typically concerning people, places, customs, doctrine and Biblical criticism. Bible dictionaries can be scholarly or popular in tone.
- 1 What is a good Bible dictionary?
- 2 What is a church Bible Dictionary?
- 3 Is there such a thing as a Bible dictionary?
- 4 What is the difference between a concordance and a dictionary?
- 5 What is a Bible encyclopedia used for?
- 6 What is the best concordance of the Bible?
- 7 What is it called when you leave a religion?
- 8 Who is Ecclesia in the Bible?
- 9 Which refers to the sting of death?
- 10 Who wrote the first Bible dictionary?
- 11 What does the word Bible literally mean?
- 12 What is a reference to the Bible called?
- 13 What is a cross reference in the Bible?
What is a good Bible dictionary?
Best Sellers in Christian Bible Dictionaries & Encyclopedias
- #1. The New Strong’s Expanded Exhaustive…
- #2. Diccionario Bíblico Ilustrado Holman / Holman…
- #3. Zondervan’s Compact Bible Dictionary.
- #4. Nelson’s Illustrated Bible Dictionary: New and…
- #5. Biblical Hebrew Laminated Sheet (Zondervan…
What is a church Bible Dictionary?
Bible Dictionary is an official publication of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (LDS Church). Since 1979, Bible Dictionary has been published as an appendix to most copies of the King James Version (KJV) of the Bible printed by the LDS Church. The dictionary contains 1285 entries on 196 pages.
Is there such a thing as a Bible dictionary?
A Dictionary of the Bible is the most acclaimed, accessible, and up-to-date dictionary of its kind. Containing over 2,000 authoritative entries it provides clear and concise information about all of the important places, people, themes, and doctrines of the Bible.
What is the difference between a concordance and a dictionary?
is that concordance is agreement; accordance; consonance while dictionary is a reference work with a list of words from one or more languages, normally ordered alphabetically and explaining each word’s meaning and sometimes containing information on its etymology, usage, translations and other data.
What is a Bible encyclopedia used for?
Bible Encyclopedias and Dictionaries are excellent resource guides for beginning research. They provide authoritative voices on a plethora of topics regarding every aspect of biblical studies.
What is the best concordance of the Bible?
Best Sellers in Christian Bible Concordances
- #1. The New Strong’s Expanded Exhaustive…
- #2. Nelson’s Illustrated Bible Dictionary: New and…
- #3. Vine’s Complete Expository Dictionary of Old…
- #4. Nueva Concordancia Strong Exhaustiva.
- #5. Strongest Strong’s Exhaustive Concordance…
What is it called when you leave a religion?
Apostasy (/əˈpɒstəsi/; Greek: ἀποστασία apostasía, “a defection or revolt”) is the formal disaffiliation from, abandonment of, or renunciation of a religion by a person. One who undertakes apostasy is known as an apostate.
Who is Ecclesia in the Bible?
Ecclesia (or Ekklesia) in Christian theology means both: a particular body of faithful people, and the whole body of the faithful.
Which refers to the sting of death?
The Apostle Paul explains in Romans 6:23 why instead we now die: “Death is the wages of sin.” That’s what Paul means when he says in 1 Corinthians 15:56, “The sting of death is sin, and the power of sin is the law.” Death stings us so, because we know, whatever the immediate cause, the root cause is our sin.
Who wrote the first Bible dictionary?
Bible dictionaries can be scholarly or popular in tone. The first dictionary of the Bible in English was the Christian Dictionarie (1612) of Thomas Wilson.
What does the word Bible literally mean?
Etymology. The English word Bible is derived from Koinē Greek: τὰ βιβλία, romanized: ta biblia, meaning ” the books ” (singular βιβλίον, biblion). The word βιβλίον itself had the literal meaning of “scroll” and came to be used as the ordinary word for “book”.
What is a reference to the Bible called?
Allusion is a device that activates and vitalizes our ideas, association, and information in the reader’s mind through words and reference. In this article, biblical allusions and the references are taken from the Holy Bible. In literature, allusions are used to get a grasp over certain situations.
What is a cross reference in the Bible?
A cross reference is a note placed alongside the biblical text which directs the reader to another place in the Bible where he can find the same thing or something similar. It gives only the book, chapter, and verse without any comment. Cross references let the Bible speak for itself.